Invest in the best! Remember that the value of your vintage exotic skin handbag is based on its condition, skin quality, and craftsmanship. Don't waste your money on low-grade vintage. For the best, affordable vintage check out our Top 20 mid-century designer brand list.
Over the centuries, a handbag evolved from a simple necessity into an important fashion element. As a reflection of a woman's intimate world, for decades it has been an object of interest for many celebrated designers. However, no designer's vision can be realized without a skilled artisan. If you take time to carefully examine a fine vintage skin handbag, you will see how much skill has been put into its creation. Attention to detail is amazing, as well as the thought, time, work, and craftsmanship invested into it. And people always sign in admiration: "Oh, they don't make them like this anymore."
The culture of mass-produced fashion - intended to be disposed of the next year - affects the quality and the style of the products we buy. That is why 'going vintage' is such a fun and affordable way to personalize your fashion choices. Be unique and special, for less!
What makes a fine vintage purse so attractive is its handmade quality, which never comes cheap. Remember that some bags are priced much higher than others for the same reason some diamonds cost much more than others - because of the quality! The two major quality parameters - the quality of craftsmanship and the quality of skins - determine the value and the price of your vintage alligator handbag.
THE FEATURES OF QUALITY CRAFTSMANSHIP
- Skins are superbly matched, symmetrical and centered
- Seams are piped for added durability, or stitched outwards
- Corners are crisp and well defined
- Frame if fully covered with skin or decorated with original ornaments, embossing or studs
- Original frame is made of Lucite or Bakelite, wood or other unusual materials
- Handle is rigid or semi-rigid, with strong padding and support
- Interior is fitted with top-quality suede, kidskin, lambskin, goatskin, silk or moire
- Interior features a built-in wallet or a swivel mirror
- Interior has an unusual construction: duplet, triplet, etc.
- Unique original decorative accents: 24-karat plating, sterling silver frames, etc.
- Original clasps encrusted with rhinestones, glass or plastic "gems" or beads; decorated with colorful enamel, or Lucite/Bakelite
- Original accessory kits: coin purse, mirror in leather or plastic casing, comb, perfume bottle, lighter, lipstick case, etc.